One of the UK's Energy "Big 6" Organisation
Adaptation of the Enterprise Study Training Management System specific to the customer's Authorisation Management Process.
To replace an ageing business critical system, which was used to ensure the safety of our customer's own engineers and 9000 contractors.
All engineers need to have the correct training for the tasks they undertake on the transmission and distribution networks. The original system was back office, heavily dependent on a small team to decide what electrical competencies, project managers and bookers would then need to check training needs, book the relevant training and usually arrange interviews to check understanding after the training. Only when all these steps are completed are the competencies issued to the engineers, who can print out a certificate as evidence.
The main challenges were to support a complex process of identifying competencies and training needs and to make it self-service, open and traceable.
The Outline of the Project:
The project was split into phases to speed up delivery and make testing more manageable.
- Admin screens to define the competencies, map to training and prerequisites.
- Build a portal for internal staff and implement an HR interface.
- Develop the request process, allowing users to search for and request appropriate competencies.
- Facilitate the booking of the relevant training and any interviews for approved requests.
- Implement linking user records to support contractors moving between organisations/businesses.
- Data migration from the old system.
Why They Chose Us To Do It
The client had already implemented our Training Management System to allow contractor organisations to self-service bookings on training courses. They knew Enterprise Study could be trusted to deliver projects on time and to scope. With the training system in place, there were clear benefits to adding the compliance layer into the same system. It would mean that the client would, for the first time, have all training and compliance data into one database, with one application for users to go to manage their training and competencies.
- Teasing all of the knowledge out of the compliance team to ensure the requirements were properly documented.
- Providing search filters which guide the user to the relevant competencies they need to apply for.
- Checking complex prerequisite rules when competencies are requested (e.g has the contractor uploaded a photo or a CV).
- Allowing different training methods for initial awarding of competencies to refresher training methods.
- Ensuring competencies are only awarded when everything is complete and approved - the request and the training, but these can happen in any order!
- Recording of incident data, with options to suspend and subsequently reinstate competencies where necessary.
- Full audit trail of all changes to each authorisation.
- One system which holds all contractor records and internal staff, while maintaining different authorisation expires for the two groups.
- Successfully migrated all the data from the old system, ensuring the correct competencies were loaded against each engineer.
- Giving the compliance team the framework to define complex rules of what training is required for each authorisation, whether an interview is also required, as well as a number of automated data checks (e.g user has a valid safety passport).
- Allowing self-service for requesting competencies while providing guidance on what to apply for.
- The new system provides traceability so requesters can at any time see where their requests have got to.
- Ease of printing an engineer's certificate to show all competencies currently held, with any relevant additional information.
- Uploading of profile photos which are included on the printed certificates to help verify identity.
- Automated expiry reminders.
This complex project was a wide scale success, ensuring the Customer’s Authorisation and Compliance process remains robust and secure for the foreseeable future.